Sunday 15 November 2009

Microbiology and Art.

On thursday I attended a lecture by the special collections library entitled 'Microbiology and Art.'
The Lecture was about how microorganisms are infact very beautiful creatures, and how they have been used for art, as well as the correlations between the development of the science and the developments of art.



The lecture involved all sorts of interesting facts, such as how stress affects the growth of microorganisms, creating different looking colonies, and how architects use the same structures as viruses for some architectural projects (such as the eden project.)
We were also shown various art projects inspired by microbiology, such as some beautifully intricate glass models of funghi, and a collaboration between the muscular dystrophy foundation and somerfield where a double helix based upon the structure of DNA (or Deoxyribonucleic acid, if we're getting scientific) was created out of shopping trolleys! 



I found this lecture hugely inspirational, as I have studied quite a lot of science (I almost decided upon going to medical school before I opted to go to uni to study design instead) and still find it fascinating. I could see so many correlations between this subject and the process of generative design, another subject very close to my heart. It reminded me most of Universal Everything's 'Seconde Nature' reactive identity system:


Seconde Nature / Reactive Identity from Universal Everything on Vimeo.

This has really got me into looking at generative design again. If anyone reading this is interested, there is a great site full of generative stuff right HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment