Sunday 15 November 2009

The American Scene: Prints from Hopper to Pollock

Today I visited the Whitworth Art Gallery, and looked mostly at the 'American Scene' exhibition.
It focused on North American printmaking from around 1908 to the 1950's, and featured artists such as Jackson Pollock, John Sloan, George Bellows and Edward Hopper.
This was a great exhibition, and featured some great work. It introduced me to 2 amazing artists that I had never before encountered, Louis Lozowick and Leonard Baskin.
Louis Lozowick was an American Precisionist, and created some fantastic images of New York city using print and illustration techniqies. Something about his works really speaks to me, and keeps me enthralled. Maybe its the precision of his work, or maybe its just that I love dark images of urban landscapes.




Leonard Baskin was a celebrated american printmaker and illustrator. His work is quite diverse, and he created quite a of of work during the second world war.
He had 2 amazing pieces at this exhibition, 2 prints entitled 'Man of Peace' and 'Hydrogen Man.'
I found these 2 pieces fascinating. Both are anti war illustrations and both I feel are very powerful. His 'Hydrogen Man' piece was my favorite in the whole gallery.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment